Thursday, September 06, 2012

When Being a Parent Becomes Ugly


Warning: Do not read this if you're on the fence about having children. It will make you definitely not want any. Hell, it's making me not want any more, and I actually do want more children.

This is about teething and the havoc it wreaks. It can be pure hell.

When people told me about the fussiness, rashes and red cheeks, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, fevers, and so on, I braced myself. But we didn't get that here for the first six teeth. We certainly got all of it for teeth numbers 7 and 8.

There were a few nights where my little miss simply wouldn't sleep. She was up from 11-2am, and again from 3-5am. Usually she wouldn't even be fussy, she just refused to go back to bed, and was fine staying up and playing. Other times she would wake up and just cry and cry until finally some random act (like giving her my cell phone) would calm her down.

A few nights, I made a bed on the living room floor so I could lay down and watch her play and attempt to let my body rest. Several times I woke up on the floor, realizing I'd put her back to sleep and went to my makeshift bed to wait and see if she'd actually sleep, before finally going back to my actual bed.

Once... I woke up on my floor-bed, and went into panic mode thinking I fell asleep and she escaped the room even though the door had been blocked off. I searched the apartment for her, thinking she was playing in the dark. Finally, I rushed into her room to see if she was playing in there only to find her fast asleep in her crib.

And even then, I spent a moment wondering how she got into her crib before I remembered that I had put her there, and fell asleep waiting to see if she'd fall asleep herself.

I was so tired that it took me that long to remember.

And that, ladies (and gentlemen?) is the truth about teething, and how rough it is on everyone.


14 comments:

Sean Marie said...

So this is definitely bringing me back down to reality. I thought that the first couple teeth were always the worst and we're already over those and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. No idea it could get worse with the next teeth. Also, lol'ed when you said it's making you not want anymore kids. Sometimes I feel the same way, and I know I want more kids. Thanks for being so open, that's why we love ya!

Hena Tayeb said...

We are almost done with the teething.. just a molar or two to go.. but are going through some terrible two tantrums right now.. lots of fun kicking and screaming..

Your mom said...

Oh I hate to be "that" mom but can I just say, my kids teethed like it was no problem. No rashes. No drool. No temps, tantrums, or tears. Just teeth. Lots of them. Like 8 a month :)

{{HUGS}} as you deal with this. Those toothy grins will make it worth it!

Unknown said...

Parenting is sooooo hard. Good luck - I know how you feel!

Shannon said...

I HATE teething. Hunter is getting 3 new teeth...2 on top and 1 on the bottom right now and last weekend was horrible...fever, fussiness, no sleeping. Ugh. And we only have lik 20 more to go right?

Baby Sister said...

:\ I'm sorry!! I hope it eases up soon...

Elisabeth said...

The nice thing is (in my experience) that sometimes siblings have a different reaction to teething. I know mine have all been quite different.

My first was the worst.

It gets better! Hang in there!

Stephanie said...

We are starting to deal with this too. Chloe finally got her first two teeth at the same time and boy was she miss fussypants. I think she's working on another one right now because she's started to get fussy again for no reason and isn't eating as much. Have you looked into those amber necklaces or the Hilands Teething Tablets? Maybe that will give your sweet girl some relief.

booooo said...

Have you guys tried the teething tablets?

Ivory (my room mate / BFFs baby) only has 4 teeth at a year old and there has only been one or two nights where she hasn't slept and we assumed it was either because both Brittany and I were home at the same time (she likes to stay up & play. She'll go down easy for either of us when the other is not around) OR something is wrong like her binky is missing or she isn't feeling well.

But since she first started cutting teeth we put these teething tablets (name escapes me but we buy them in bulk from Walmart) and we haven't experiences these horrors yet.

I can give you the name when I get home but we put two in her bedfore-bed-bottle EVERY night and so far basically no issues. And Ivory is like the supreme of fussy babies. She will whine and scream her head off if you stop paying attention to her for even 2 seconds. She cries if I leave the living room and go into the dinning room (they are open rooms too). So they have to be working because if they weren't - we'd know.

The Lovely One said...

Hee hee hee.... I was pretty lucky and teething was mild for both my kids. But I've had plenty of ugly parent moments! And they get uglier as the kids get older!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, we're in the throws of teething...going on number 7. It's a royal b. Like you, 1-6 were a breeze. Now? HELLTORTUREAWFUL. Anyway, hope you get some rest this weekend :)

Dropping by from sits.

Anonymous said...

Yea, teething was hard for my little one too. The fussiness, and the fever, I felt like I was losing my mind. There were many times when I would search for it too. Dropping in from SITS.

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Ugh, I hated teething. My youngest has to have her urine checked any time she runs a fever, so you can imagine how many trips we had to make to the doctor. She's now 2 1/2 and still doesn't have her 2 year molars. Not looking forward to those!

Stopping by from SITS. Have a great weekend!

Michelle said...

That's so tough! Sleep deprivation stinks!
Michelle
http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/09/if-we-could-only-live-without-sleep.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...