Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Once upon a time, I met a boy


When I first created this blog, I was single, but living with my ex (my daughter's father). Crazy, I know.

Then I moved out on my own with my daughter. This blog was going to be 'single mom diaries' style. Boyfriend is kind of getting in the way of that.

I was single and living on my own for a little over a month when I got a message on an online dating website. By that point, I was mostly fed up with online dating, so I didn't pay much attention to the message, plus I was away visiting friends for the week. I was pretty indifferent about the message, and the guy, but I responded. It was probably a pretty lame response, maybe even showing my disinterest, but whatever the case, we both had daughters and easily fell into a conversation about babies and such.

For the first time in awhile, I was having an easy back and forth of messages with a guy I met online. Soon, I was checking my messages on my phone when I got up in the middle of the night with my daughter. Not long after that, we exchanged phone numbers and became Facebook friends.

Finally, we made tentative plans to meet, on a night that he had his daughter. The plans got a little messy when my ex cancelled his plans to take the baby at the last minute.

But we did eventually end up meeting and I went on a first date with a guy I had never met before, and his daughter. Hopefully that will stay as the strangest first date I've ever had.

For some reason, I wasn't too nervous about meeting him. Maybe it was the baby ice breaker. I didn't feel sparks fly or any kind of 'love at first sight' crap, but I don't believe in that anyway. But we clicked a little. Conversation was easy, and we stayed at the fast food restaurant long after we finished eating.

Our first date didn't end with a first kiss. 

When he mentioned getting together a second time, I mentioned looking for a babysitter and he said we could just watch a movie at my place. I soon realized that he was truly okay with the fact that I had a baby and she would always be around. 

Our second date was just a movie at my place, a bag of chips between us for at least the first hour before it was moved and he pulled me a little closer to cuddle. It was late by the time we thought he should leave, so I decided to wake up the baby for her middle of the night feeding in hopes that she'd sleep again until morning and give me some uninterrupted sleep time. To my surprise, he stayed for the whole feeding, even though it took forever because she was distracted by him. I finally got her back to bed and he left, sometime close to 3am. This time he kissed me before he left. 

And I was really starting to like this sweet boy. 

So I apologize that this blog might not really live up to its name. 

1 comment:

Baby Sister said...

That's such a cute story. :) I'm glad you're happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...