Monday, December 24, 2012

How do YOU deal with these kinds of tantrums?

[ via
Wow, it's Christmas eve. It sure doesn't feel like it. 

We started celebrating a little bit yesterday. We took the girls to visit my mom for a little while. We met up with my friend, S., while we were there and exchanged gifts with her. We got a really nice touch and feel Christmas book, a noisy learning toy, bathtub crayons, and some pjs for miss Chloe. So much nice stuff already, and so much left to open. 

The reason we were in town was for supper at boyfriend's sister's house. We were meeting up with his ex-step-father (his father figure growing up) and siblings, as their Christmas 'get together'. Not only did boyfriend and Lil M get presents, they actually had a present for Chloe and I. It was a surprise but a really nice one, especially since we've never met his father before. 

Lil M had on major meltdown over a sippy cup, and we left on that note. She screamed for a half an hour while we got ready to leave, and screamed for another 15 or so minutes as we drove home. I need your advice, any moms of toddlers, so I'll explain the situation. 

She saw the cup in the bag and wanted it. We told her she could have it later, meaning in the car, and put the bag away. Insert tons of crying and screaming. She had a sippy cup of water already, but didn't want that. She wanted juice. After the first 20 minutes of crying, I poured the juice into another cup. She wasn't in the room when I did it. I filled the one she was crying over with water and gave it to her. She continued screaming over it. 

I refused to give in to her tantrum and give her the sippy cup in the car, even though her father really wanted to. After almost 45 minutes of crying, she fell asleep in the car.

So I ask you, what do you do in these situations? Keep holding out to teach her you don't throw a tantrum to get what you want? Or do you give in after awhile? 

She's gotten to the point that she has little meltdowns over anything. If you give her food, even if she wants it, she will cry and scream if you don't give it to her the way she wants it. I don't know what her mother does about it at home, but I am not the type to give a child what they want just because they scream. Her father is. What do you do? 

Keep in mind, she's almost two and barely speaks so it's not like she can't ever tell us if there's an actual problem, she just screams over everything. 

I got a bit off my original topic... Christmas eve! So I hope it's happy. I'm not sure when I'll update next, so I hope you have a Merry Christmas and I can't wait to read all your Christmas updates later! 


4 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I don't give in and just let the crying ensue. It can get annoying but I try and tune it out so my kids don't think that they can cry and get what they want.

booooo said...

Ivory is at that stage. She flings herself backwards or flops on the floor and cries into her hand or whatever so that we'll hold her or give in. I just let her go but Brittany after a bit will say she can't deal with it because she can't stand to hear Ivory cry.

I just let Ivory cry, knowing she is fine and ask her if she's done and if she keeps crying I just say "oh, ok." in my best 'I'm bored' voice then wait five seconds and ask again. Then she usually fades out when she realizes Auntie isn't stupid. But when her mom is around she's a terror because she knows she'll give in.

You have to pick your battles. If Ivory REALLY smacks her head I step in a little bit, make sure she's ok and if she keeps screaming I let her go on and scream. But I'm more of a tough love kind of person anyways. Sometimes I will put her in her crib and I give her a time out. I know she's ok, she can't hurt herself in there (except bang her head which she likes to do on purpose for attention) and it gives me time to cool my jets so I don't become frustrated. Then after 10 or so minutes I'll go in, ask if she's done and take her out. She's usually fine. If you're out in public I'd take her somewhere she can scream it out without disturbing too many people and if people give you weird looks just say "I'm not going to let my daughter scream and get her way, she's going to learn and if you don't like it tough titty."

That's what I tell Brittany anyways. Whether Brittany listens or not, who knows? LOL.

Sean Marie said...

Damn, that's a really tough subject. I have no idea. I know my husband is going to give into every little fit Natalie throws in the future so I'm pretty sure I'll have to play the bad guy and let her scream it out. What else can you do though? I don't think kids that young should be spanked and I doubt they understand the concept of "time out" that young.

Baby Sister said...

Temper tantrums are so hard. I try really hard not to give into my nieces and nephews, but then I remember I'm not their parent and what if they don't like how I'm handling the situation? It will be easier when I have my own kids in that regard at least. Good luck!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...