Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What Type of Blogger Are You?

[ via ]
When it comes to blogging, you might hear a lot about 'niches'. 

It comes up a lot especially if you're looking to make money off your blog. If you blog fits nicely into a 'niche', then it'll attract more people interested in that niche, advertisers know if they're product will fit with your blog, and yada yada. Some examples would be: video games, weight loss, parenting, etc. 

I don't really follow the niche rules. I blog about whatever I want. I follow any blog I like, regardless of how much I may have in common with that blogger. Funny single girl blogging about make-up? Hell, I don't even wear make-up much but if you're funny, I'm there. 

I don't know if these count as niches, but the blogs I tend to follow can be stereotypically summed up as such:

 - Single-girl blogs. Now, these girls aren't necessarily single, but they're unmarried. They're usually gorgeous, their men are gorgeous, they do tons of fun things, and make me envy their life. A lot of them tend to have and adore their fur-babies. (See: All in My Twenties and Pink Lou Lou)

 - Married-girl blogs. These girls are married without kids. Kind of similar to the single-girl blogs, except with more wedding photos and a nice looking man at their side. 

 - Mom blogs. I've loved mom blogs since before I became a mom myself. Mom blogs are always full of great advice, tons of cute pictures, and funny stories. Except mine. I'm not funny. (See: Things I Can't Say)

 - Funny blogs. Do I really need to explain this one? (See: The Bloggess. More importantly, you need to read this post on picking your battles)

And of course there are other categories, there are mixed categories. These are just the few that stand out. 

I don't know where I fit in. I never thought of myself as much of a niche blogger. I tried to do the craft blogging, but I didn't have the time or energy to keep up with it, although I really wish I could keep it up. 

I'm a mom, and I do blog a lot about babies and motherhood and all sorts of that boring stuff, but I don't feel like a mom blog. Maybe others see me as one. I could understand that. Even when I wasn't a mom, I wasn't a single girl going on exciting adventures. I was even more boring. Maybe I'm just a miscellaneous blog, mixed with a big chunk of mom blog. 

What do you think? What blog type am I, and more importantly, what blog type are you?

7 comments:

Modern Gypsy said...

I'm a gypsy blogger - I blog about a lot of different stuff - book reviews, travel,spirituality, food and anything else that takes my fancy!

Dropping by from SITS. :)

Unknown said...

I hate to try to answer those questions. I don't fit into a niche either - I blog about running, my (mostly failed) attempts at cooking, being a mom, and business. I guess my blog is my brain dump - anything goes, and it's just me, no pretense.

So...unpretentious? LOL

Unknown said...

I have tried many different blogs but this one I have now is about stuff I love, natural living!

I do talk about other stuff here and there though

Baby Sister said...

I don't really have a niche, either. I just blog about whatever is on my mind. I do try to keep it happy, but I just blog about what I want to blog about.

Sean Marie said...

Except you ARE funny!

Jayme said...

I always thought of myself as niche-less as well.

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I'm a mom blogger, but I also talk about myself and my struggle with PPD. But I try to throw in some light stories too or talk about what's going on in our lives. But I so wish I were funny. I can say witty stuff in a conversation but I can't translate it to paper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...